In all honestly, I had no intention of writing a list this week, as the topic is top ten favorite things other than books. And books are my thing. But yesterday…was not a good day. It was an exasperating, stress inducing, tear-filled kind of day. This resulted in eating pizza, ice cream, and watching a favorite movie. Because sometimes certain movies just make you feel better. The following are some blend of romantic-comedy-drama-whatever that have little in common except they please me and make me happy. Very technical, I know.
So wallow, have a good cry, and watch Molly Ringwald choose the wrong guy. Team Duckie for life.
10. Pretty in Pink. “A poor girl must choose between the affections of her doting childhood sweetheart and a rich but sensitive playboy.”
09. Strictly Ballroom. “A maverick dancer risks his career by performing an unusual routine and sets out to succeed with a new partner.”
08. Muriel’s Wedding. “Muriel finds life in Porpoise Spit, Australia dull and spends her days alone in her room listening to Abba music and dreaming of her wedding day. Slight problem, Muriel has never had a date. Then she steals some money to go on a tropical vacation, meets a wacky friend, changes her name to Mariel, and turns her world upside down.”
07. In Bruges. “Guilt-stricken after a job gone wrong, hitman Ray and his partner await orders from their ruthless boss in Bruges, Belgium, the last place in the world Ray wants to be.”
06. While You Were Sleeping. “Ticket collecting romantic pretends to be engaged to an unconscious man but can’t fool his brother.”
05. Benny and Joon. “A mentally ill young woman finds her love in an eccentric man who models himself after Buster Keaton.”
04. Lars and the Real Girl. “A delusional young guy strikes up an unconventional relationship with a doll he finds on the Internet.”
03. Your Sister’s Sister. “Iris invites her friend Jack to stay at her family’s island getaway after the death of his brother. At their remote cabin, Jack’s drunken encounter with Hannah, Iris’ sister, kicks off a revealing stretch of days.”
02. Much Ado About Nothing. “A modern retelling of Shakespeare’s classic comedy about two pairs of lovers with different takes on romance and a way with words.”
01. Waitress. “Jenna is a pregnant, unhappily married waitress in the deep south. She meets a newcomer to her town and falls into an unlikely relationship as a last attempt at happiness.”
What do you enjoying watching (when you’re not reading)?
(Image found here)
10 thoughts on “Miscellaneous Movies To Watch: A Top Ten List”
Solid list. Almost cried reading it.
Good to see two Australian films on your list 🙂 I agree about Muriel’s Wedding. My go-to movies include 16 Candles; Breakfast Club; Room with a View; Heathers; The Ice Storm; Out of Africa; The Castle (and Aussie classic)… and Meet the Parents always makes me laugh. If TV series count then BBC’s P&P; Anne of Green Gables; plus Grey’s Anatomy and very soon Felicity (my boxed-set will be arriving any day now).
I’m sorry you had such a crappy day. I hope today is better for you. 🙂
I loved Benny and Joon. Your list reminds me I need to watch that again.
I also agree sometimes you just need pizza and a comfort movie.
I’m sad to say I haven’t watched any of these movies! 😦 But many of them have been on my “I need to watch that sometime” list for a looooong time. My all-time favorite movie is Amelie.
Oh my word. I have MAD LOVE for While You Were Sleeping. An excellent list!
You’ve Got Mail
hope the rest of the week is better for you
“…and watch Molly Ringwald choose the wrong guy. Team Duckie for life.” Agreed!
Much Ado About Nothing is one of my favorite movies of all time. At one time, I knew every word of that play.
I somehow haven’t seen any of these movies… except for half of Pretty in Pink when it was on TV once. I love watching Frances Ha, Annie Hall, Little Women, the Keira Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice, and Harry Potter movies when I’m feeling down.
I love Waitress! It always makes me want to bake some pies.